Friday, April 20, 2007

We have a stranger in our midst...

The big news today is that Xanthe has spent more time in Australia than in the UK. She was in the UK for a paltry nine weeks, and as of today she's been in Ozland for nine weeks and three days. That means that she is officially more Australian than English. This has been reflected in both her accent and request that we call her Kylie from now on.

While we're on the subject of the Webb ladies, this is probably a good time to mention one of the things that Ruth gets up to while here. As well as doing all the mum related stuff that she did back in the UK she's making the time to get to know the people we now live with here at Cornerstone. She's usually either going out with or having someone round to our house every day. Yesterday I found that my home had been invaded by a bunch of women (to be fair, one of them had a beard and was called Matt so might not have been a woman) and they were talking about make up and clothes and stuff. Even Matt. I think he may have been wearing lipstick. I was glad that I had to go to work and clean mats. Anyway, the point of that paragraph was to let you know that Ruth is doing a really good job of getting to know people here. She's always been good at the hospitality thing. In our relationship it helps because it balances out my utter contempt for the rest of the human race.

I'm not posting any photos this week. Ruth will tell me off for that, as she thinks that the photos are the most interesting part of the blog. She is, of course, wrong. It's my scintillating wit and mastery of the English language. Me am the best!!!!

We've recently bought a new rug for our front room. It's in preparation for the alleged 'cold weather' that everyone keeps warning us about. It's a lie. I'm still in my shorts.

Next Wednesday is Anzac day. It's a public holiday in remembrance of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp. There seems to be more pride in the sacrifices of past generations here in Oz. I think that we Brits are sometimes more cautious about making too much of such things, as we're a country with a very long (and certainly not always glorious) military history. It's a shame in a way. There's something nice about the fact that the whole country stops for such a united reflection. There will be a parade in Dubbo that we might try to go and see.

When I told Ruth that I wasn't going to put any photos on the blog she nearly cried, so I've decided to give in a put a couple at the end here. We've got a photo of our new rug and our very odd boys. We've also got a photo of Xanthe, who is starting to roll over at will now. I'll write again soon, so you'll have to make do with these two piccies until then.



3 comments:

Ed Kaneen said...

You're right. We're much more circumspect here. On the other hand, if it was Prozac day, millions would be on the streets (and probably already are).

Anonymous said...

Is this an IKEA-carpet your sons make strange things upon?

James and Ruth Webb said...

No. I think they have Ikea in Australia, but not in Dubbo. It was from a shop called 'Spotlight' or, as they would call it in Germany, 'Das Spotlight'.