Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Different Point of View


Hello all. It's been another exciting week for the Webb family. This time I took Reid on the Mat Run. He fell asleep in the van on the way back from Narromine. That's actually all that I have to say about this week. Ummmmm. What can I do? Oh, I know. I'll get Ruth to write this week's blog. Loads of people have been asking for her to make an appearance (ingrates) so I suppose I'll let her have a shot. So, without further ado here is my lovely wife...


...It’s been an amazing six months. People meeting us now think we were really brave (or stupid) coming to the other side of the world with a two month old baby. Xanthe has actually adjusted to life here the easiest of all of our children. She’s a real community baby, loving the constant interaction with anyone who talks to her and not caring who’s holding her, as long is it’s someone! (I did have to explain to some older kids here that although she looks like a doll, she is in fact a person and therefore won’t bounce.)

We did have a few surprises when we got here, not least of which was the colour of the water coming from the taps. It’s ten times worse when it rains as it’s coming from the Macquarie River and picks up more dirt from the edges when it rises. Our bath often looks like mud before its even had anyone in it. As a result of the water, the toilet in our flat has proven to be my biggest challenge yet in my quest for a spotless home. Until recently it’s had a black crust all over the base refusing to shift, even after consultation with Kim and Aggie. But then I discovered toilet crystals! Just a shake of those every day and I’m on my way to a white toilet at last! No more explaining to non-Cornerstone visitors that I’m not a filthy girl, no more elbow grease. Thank you Harpic (and Anne Grant).


I’m so enjoying baking and cooking from scratch here. My mum had told me that Australian ladies are often well into those things and she was right! I have only been offered a packet biscuit twice in six months. The down side is remembering all the money I spent on scotch eggs and cheese straws in England when they’re so easy and cheap to make. (By the way, most Aussies have never had either of those!)

One of my biggest adjustments has been the time change. Now you’re thinking that I’ve forwarded my watch nine hours so of course that’s an adjustment, but I don’t mean the nine hours time difference with England. I actually mean the adjustment to “Cornerstone Time”, a common affliction that affects those who enter here, regardless of age or race. So if you arrange a get together with a Cornerstoner, either be prepared to wait an extra hour or so, or turn up an hour late yourself. For me, a British stickler for punctuality, this change has been huge. I’ve deliberated on this for many a – waiting – hour and suddenly came to a discovery which explained it in an instant. No one here wears a watch! And since arriving here, I’ve managed to lose a watch and break its replacement. Therefore, if you arrange to see me at some point in the future, take a good book and shout yourself a coffee while you wait.

And that's it from Ruth. Didn't she do well, ladies and gentlemen. We hope that you have a great week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely to hear your take on things in the blog Ruth! I knew you'd get that toilet gleaming!! Love Debbie

Anonymous said...

No punctuality? Sounds like a nightmare!

Anonymous said...

Now, this was BY FAR the best Blog that the Webbs have posted, I say!!
James, note the two exclamation marks - rather unhinged, don't you think?! !%^!)
I feel that I have dug a bit of a hole for my (anonymous) self: if I say that it was 'just a joke', Ruth will be mortally offended - but if I stand by my comment, James will almost certainly hire assassins to teach me a lesson. Right, I take it all back; this is the comment that never was.

Anonymous said...

Dear Webbs,

I like the photos. Does look different. Sorry to hear about time [or lack of it] and tide[waits for no man, even in the loos].

When does James take over the cleaning?!!

Take lots of care. Think of you all

Love Philip