Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Education, Training and Inspiration

Wow, two blog updates in two days. I'm on fire!

(Not literally, of course. That's something that I would Tweet rather than blog).

Yesterday's blog was really me thinking out-loud, and thanks to the wonders of modern technology I can now inflict unedited internal musings on the whole world. In reading it back to myself I do feel that it's a bit 'all-over-the-place', but there's something precious in there that you can do with what you want.

Today I wanted to write about something else; another personal impression.

Although, as far as the Department of Immigration and Citizenship is concerned, I am here as an 'vocational educator', I'm not really an educator. I don't see my role here as 'to educate'. The world is full of Bible colleges that do a good job of 'educating'. I don't think Cornerstone is or should be attempting to add to that number. There are plenty of schools that would do a better job than we do.

Another label that has been applied to what we do is 'equipping' or 'training'. Now we're getting closer to the mark. It's one of the crimes of Western thought to assume that 'educating' is the same as 'training'. There are a lot of Christian places that 'educate', but fewer engage in 'training'. In Cornerstone we attempt to train and equip people to live as a follower of Jesus, regardless of where He sends them. I think we could do a better job at this, but at least we recognise the distinction between 'education' and 'training' and have a go. But I don't really want to be a 'trainer' either.

What I long to do, and what I pray for, and what I believe is the role of any Cornerstone staff member is to 'inspire'. In other words, it's not enough for me to educate someone about what it means to follow Christ. It's not even enough for me to bridge that gap and then go on to show them how to follow Christ. What I cannot afford to fail to do is stir in them a desire to want to follow Christ. There must be something about me that causes restlessness in others. People must sit in one of my lectures or work with me or eat with me or play boardgames with me and come away unable to sleep because they just can't get the stench of the Kingdom of God out of their nostrils. If people do not cross my path and walk away saying "I want to be like him..." then I don't deserve to be in a position of influence. I am unashamed in my desire to be the sort of person who arouses greatness in others.

Does this offend you? Does it jar against some carefully formulated doctrine of humilty that you hold to? It would have done so with me once, but I have come to believe that, when it comes to following Christ, if I can't honestly say "The world would be a better place if there were more people like me" then I'm not doing it properly. I long not just to teach, nor just to equip. I long to inspire.

No comments: