Monday, February 19, 2007

Back to school...

I've just got back from carrying two buckets of hot water from the laundry room so that Ruth can have a bath. The things that I do for an easy life. The astute amongst you will probably deduce that this means that we don't have our hot water yet - that is correct - but we do now have a working fridge. We're getting there.

The thing that I'm enjoying most about Cornerstone is the community itself. It feels like a family with the emphasis on fun and laughter. Just when I begin to get a bit homesick or overwhelmed by the newness of it all I have a great conversation with someone that cheers me right up again. The support and understanding that's being offered is just great. There is, however, also a real recognition that sometimes people need space and a willingness to allow that. As one of life's bitter, twisted loners I truly appreciate the fact that I can close the doors and know that I will be given the space that I need.

Today I had my first lectures, which I enjoyed. The timetable is unusual here, to fit in with all aspects of community life. Lectures usually run from 8-9:30 and 4-6:30. This leaves most of the day free for work, study and free time. Later this week I'll be venturing out into the field of proper work for the first time in years when I'll be helping Matt with 'The Mat Exchange'. It's a business where companies hire mats for their floors, we take them away, clean them and then return them. The fact that I'll be working with a guy called 'Matt' is just one of life's little ironies. I'll also be trained up to be a pizza delivery driver. Those of you who know me well will realise the comedy potential here - my poor sense of direction is legendary. If you hear a knock on your door in the next few weeks then do answer. It'll probably be me with a double pepperoni.

4 comments:

Ed Kaneen said...

Wow! I'm amazed, excited, thrilled, awed, scared by this - and I'm only reading it! Talk about living vicariously. Two buckets though? Luxury!

Have you read the UNICEF report about growing up in rich countries? Sounds like it may have been a good time to take to the skies and fly away from home shores - and what a wonderful landing for the children. Thank God.

I do hope you get chance to keep blogging in between deliveries, because it's brilliant. Just make sure you don't get the mats and pizzas mixed-up.

With much love to all,

Ed.

P.S. Make mine a four cheeses would you?

Unknown said...

Great to hear all is well, sounds like a whole new change of perspective. All of the best from us,

Much Love,
Mike and Helen Diack

Linda Hopkins said...

Only 4 hours of lectures - well it's alright for some! Glad to hear that you've all arrived safely and are settling in. Hope the hot water gets fixed soon...

love to all
Linda & co

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Hawaiian, James, but it was a bit cold after travelling around the world. The mat was hardly edible, too. Practice makes perfect! Peace out!