Thursday, June 24, 2010

World Cup

I just want to mention that World Cup. I've not been watching it, due to the fact that even the earliest matches start at midnight. This coupled with the screen fast has meant that I've been limited to gleaning information from news sites and listening to disappointed Australians.

When the groups were announced, I thought an England/Australia second round clash could be on. As it happens, England's usual underperformance in the group stages has set us up for having to sweep aside Germany and (possibly) Argentina before we even get a sniff of the trophy. This depresses me a little.

However, I do squeeze some pleasure from Italy's inability to progress. And if I was the Irish I would be a bit miffed by France's refusal to take the competition seriously after having bent the rules to get there in the first place.

However, I will be watching the game on Sunday. Hope is a thoroughly Christian characteristic.

1 comment:

Terry Wright said...

And the match also shows that hope is not best placed in the England team, but in Christ alone. Amen?